In Sports, Life, and Business there is a pretty simple rule: the more we do something or the more time we spend learning something the better we get at it. Repetition is the key to retaining knowledge or to get better at a skill. There is something a baseball coach told me a long time ago that still sticks with me today, he told me "Ray, there is a simple rule, no one gets good at ANYTHING, without repetition, Now hit the bench" It's definitely true in baseball, golf, or any other sport but it is especially important in business and sales.
How are you getting your "reps" to get better at what you do or retain knowledge to make your business more profitable?
According to the Harvard Business Review, only 10% of the population has what's called "the learning mindset". These are the people that seek out and enjoy learning. Coincidentally, they are also usually the top 10% in their industry. The other 90 % of the population will not look to improve their skill unless it is part of their job requirement. This is probably the reason that there is mandatory continuing education for accountants, doctors, lawyers, etc.. Could you imagine going to a doctor or lawyer that hasn't learned anything new in the last 20 years? Yikes!
Our industry is one where there isn't mandatory training and it's a choice for you, the information destruction professional, if you are ready to sharpen your skills, your tools, and your resources in order to be the most productive you and your company can be. As my baseball coach said years ago, "you can't get good at anything just by doing it once ,it's all about the Reps! "
You can't lose weight after one workout session. You can't hit a curve ball by taking one swing a week. You can't hit 3 pointers in basketball by shooting hoops once a year. You can't shoot an 80 on the golf course by playing once a year.
It's very hard to grow your business significantly without training yourself and your team. Keep in mind though that The REAL key to continued growth and to achieve master skill level is to train your people not only once but over and over as they retain more knowledge and success follows! That is why the NAID Conference and Shred Schools are a must for any industry professional.
If you and your team need proven training specific to our industry, contact me today at email@example.com
or 864-809-9111. You may qualify for our FREE Training program.